










SAUSNĒJA AND THE SURROUNDINGS
Sausnēja is located in the central part of Latvia — in Madona Municipality in Vidzeme Upland. Population in Sausnēja rural territory (which also includes Sidrabiņi and Liepkalne): 429 (data of 01.07.2024). Distance to Madona is 42.75 km, and to Riga—111.02 km. The territory is crossed by the regional motor road P78 Pļaviņas–Ērgļi.
The largest lakes in the neighbourhood are Lake Stirnezers (68 ha), Ilzins (21.6 ha), Zosins (19.6 ha), and the rivers winding through are the River Veseta, River Pērse, and River Aronīte. Highest hills: Hill Lausku (214 m), Hill Kaukuru (212 m), Hill Aroniešu (185 m). Piķa Bog ancient burial field is a place of cultural and historical importance.
Sausnēja rural territory museum. Photo by Z. Saulīte.
Sausnēja manor dates back to the 15th century when a populated place Sausen was separated and ruled by von Tiesenhausen family. They owned the manor until early 17th century, followed by the rule of von Lauenstein family, von Mengden family, Damkelmaņi family, until Kreiši family took over in 1830s. In the early 18th century, manor house was built that later became the servants’ house and was renamed the White House. In 28 September 1865, Voldemārs Zālītis, or the poet Valdis as he was known later, was born here.
Sausnēja primary school (former manor house), 1930s.
Around 1830s/1940s, a new manor house–castle was built, which was adapted for the needs of a school in 1929. In the battles of 1944, the building was destroyed. School continued its operation in homesteads “Cūkāji” and “Putrēni”, until a new school building was constructed in Sausnēja. This education institution operated until 2019.
Orthodox church school and the church, 1923. Photo by A. Žīgurs.
Pharmacy and community house, 1920s. Photo by A. Žīgurs.
In 1873, Sausnēja Orthodox Church was dedicated, that was also responsible for the Orthodox parish school. The church was destroyed in 1944, and was never restored afterwards. In the second half of the 19th century, a local council and community house and a Lutheran parish school were built, in the latter a healthcare office and a rural pharmacy were established later. During the World War II, most of the building was torn down.
During the Soviet time, Sausnēja was taken good care of and new buildings were built. A special one is “Līdumi” or the White House, where Sausnēja local history museum was established in 1983. Significant renovation was undertaken from 2009 until 2014 here, and the building was adapted for museum’s needs and holding cultural events.
“Straumes”, the library building. Photo by Z. Saulīte.
In the former school building “Rīti”, branch of Ērgļi pre-school education institution “Pienenīte” and also a public service centre operate. The local library and a healthcare service point have been established in the renovated building “Straumes”. The following companies work in Sausnēja and neighbourhood: farm “Zemītes” (trade), SIA “Ūdņēni-2” (trade), farm “Ķurzēni” (beef farming and bee-keeping), farm “Atpūtas” (beef farming, transport services, forestry), farm “Ezerkalni” (cultivation of grain), farm “Silmalas” (dairy farming), farm “Kaukuri” (dairy farming), Ainārs Vestfāls (beef farming), Pēteris Leiboms (bee-keeping), SIA “TORSTER” (wild animal breeding). In addition, some land near Sausnēja has been bought and leased by the brothers Vīgants (beef farming).
A tourism object near Sausnēja is the holiday home “Ziemeļu Terases”, where guests can relax and celebrate their special events.
Sausnēja is proud of its famous locals: writer and teacher Valdis (Voldemārs Zālītis), the first Minister of Defence of the Republic of Latvia Jānis Zālītis, linguist and professor Jānis Kauliņš, choir conductor Kārlis Gailītis, graphic artist Mārtiņš Ozoliņš, actor Gunārs Placēns, and the musical Leiboms family.
Former Sausnēja school building. Photo by Z. Saulīte.
View of Sausnēja centre, 1986. Photo by E. Vasks.